The Real Yale Model. Investors have played the game of telephone with David Swensen’s Pioneering Portfolio Management. Re-reading his book offers insights that differ from interpretations of the Yale Model.
Capital Allocators Summits. We are buzzing coming off our Fall Summit this week. The Summits are invite-only events for senior professionals across allocator and manager organizations with aCapital Allocators Summits. We are buzzing coming off our Fall Summit this week. The Summits are invite-only events for senior professionals across allocator and manager organizations with a special structure that focuses on people (over process and performance). special structure that focuses on people (over process and performance).
1. Mega CIO Departures. Nicole Musicco exits CalPERS and Ziad Hindo announces he will leave Ontario Teachers after 23 years a day later. Ironically, both were upcoming guests on the slate for the podcast.
2. Top 5 Memorable Letter to Investors, Chris Sacca. In announcing the closing of Lowercarbon's latest venture funds, Chris pens a classic. Disclosure: Ted is an investor.
3. Biggest Potential Redemption in History. The Province of Alberta is considering redeeming $400 billion from CPPIB - a startling potential disruption in two very successful Canadian pension organizations - both past guests on the show.
4. NAV Lending. At CAU this week, one of our esteemed CIOs referred to NAV lending as "oxygen tanks for private equity." More to come on the topic.
5. Smart Brevity. A terrific guide to how to communicate effectively. Recommended by Matt Breitfelder and written by the founders of Axios. We've taken it to heart and are shortening the blurbs in our emails and intros on the show.
EP.337 Marlene Puffer - CIO of Alberta Investment Management Corporation (AIMCo), Marlene discusses the Canadian pension model.
EP.339 Muthu Muthiah - CIO of Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta (CHOA), Muthu discusses inefficiencies and innovation.
EP.340 Alan Forman - Former Director of Real Estate, Alan shares insights from his three decades as a core member of the Yale Investments Office.
S.03, EP.01 TigerRisk - Managing Director at Flexpoint Ford, Chris Ackerman discusses Flexpoint's investment in TigerRisk, the fourth-largest reinsurance broker in the world.
S.03, EP.02 Rockefeller - CEO of Rockefeller Capital Management, Greg Fleming discusses the RCM platform that encompasses private wealth management, strategic advisory, and asset management.
EP.08 Byron Pavano - Managing Director of Fund Strategy and Counsel for Audax Group, Byron discusses his path from outside counsel to inside counsel.
EP.09 Sean Arp - COO of the University of Wisconsin Foundation, Sean details how investment operations work at an endowment.
EP.338 Adam Karr - President and Portfolio Manager at Orbis, Adam discusses extreme alignment at the firm.