Announcements and Gratitudes
* We've added a new stream of content to the blog. Stanford Professor Ashby Monk (see Episode 29) curates news about Asset Owner Giants and has agreed to have us post his updates on Capital Allocators. You can sign up to receive the weekly blog in your inbox on our Homepage.
* We also launched First Meeting this month. First Meeting is a spin-off of Capital Allocators of sorts, focusing on interviews with leading money managers across asset classes. Episodes are currently available on the same feed as Capital Allocators.
Reading (Ordered by reading time: tweets first, books last, and blog posts and articles in between)
1. Best Blog Posts. Patrick O'Shaughnessy tweeted "Stuck in airport and need help passing time. What’s the best blog post you’ve ever read?" During our podcast conversation, he described his large Twitter audience as "the closest thing to owning an artificial general intelligence...the best search engine in the world."
2. Best Books. While we're at it, Patrick also tweeted "What’s the last book that you read for at least the second time?"
3. Stay in the Game. Drew Dickson tells a personal story about his oldest son in this post. It's equal parts heart-wrenching and inspiring, and in a twist at the end, almost film worthy. Drew is a hedge fund manager who's had is own share of ups and downs, and has persevered by staying in the game.
4. Secrets of Sand Hill Road. Scott Kupor, the CEO of Andreeson Horowitz, wrote this book to demystify the business of venture capital. The book describes the entire food chain of capital, how entrepreneurs should approach raising money, and what happens in the process. It's a very informative read and remided me of a venture capital version of Brent Beshore's The Messy Marketplace, which describes the ins and outs of selling a small business.
Episode 101: Khe Hy - Radical Shift from Investing to Purpose
Khe tells his story of moving from the investment business to consulting about the psychology of money.
Episode 102: Jon Wertheim - Sports AND...
Jon is Executive Editor at Sports Illustrated, a 60 Minutes contributor, and voluminous author. We talk sports and investing, and the parallels are apparent.
First Meeting Episode 1: Patrick O'Shaughnessy - O'Shaughnessy Asset Management
Patrick discusses OSAM's approach to quantitative investing, podcasting, and the learning loop.
First Meeting Episode 2: Martin Whittaker - JUST Capital
Martin talks about the Paul Tudor Jones and Deepak Chopra-backed JUST Capital, which seeks to generate research about the most just companies according to the American people.
Best of the Rest
Jim Dethmer on Shane Parrish's The Knowledge Project. I love great conversations about self-discovery and conscious living, and Shane's with leadership expert Jim Dethmer is as good as they come.
Have a good one,
We are seeking a Community Engagement Manager to develop deeper relationships with our followers.